You are invited to an open day at Northpine, 34 Cove Road:
4.30 Wednesday 9 November
You will be split up into small groups to tour the operation, which will be followed by a BBQ and a few beers with Northpine Staff. This is great opportunity to look around this local business and see what happens at first hand.
Please wear shoes that are good for rough and uneven ground.
NorthPine is the timber mill situated behind ITM in Cove Road Waipu. It is one of the major employers in Waipu. They are proud to be independently owned and operated and are strong contributors to Waipu through employment, training of young people and a strong local sponsorship programme.
We take pride in our technical excellence as sawmillers, and we are constantly looking to identify new products and systems that meet the needs of our customers. Continuous improvement of our processes supports our development of high value solutions.
They have a strong commitment to the Environment and to Health and Safety…
Keeping our staff safe and minimising our impact on the environment are principles that guide all of our decision making as a company. We are constantly looking to identify opportunities to implement change, processes and practices that improve the safety and environmental performance of Northpine’s people and products.
In July 2005 they received a Resource Consent to operate a Boiler and Kiln for drying timber, which was extended in 2014. Because of it’s proximity to Living 1 residential zone, it has particularly strict resource consent requirements regarding emissions from the Kiln, and was required by the Resource Consent to support a Community Liaison Committee which meet regularly to monitor the consent conditions and liaise with the community.
The Committee also deals with issues raised in the community by the noise of operations at Northpine, which is required to operate within Whangarei District Council noise control limits during the day and in the evening.
The Community Liaison Committee comprises
- Chairperson Rosemary Neave
- Steve Goldthorpe (appointed by the Waipu Residents Association)
- the late Jim Houlbrooke as a neighbour
- A representative from the Northland Regional Council (Air Quality)
- A representative of Whangarei District Council (noise control)
- Bruce Larsen and Gaylene Wilson of Northpine
Do you have a concern about Noise or Emissions at Northpine?
Here are some ways of addressing your concerns:
- Contact the Northpine Office 09 432 1155 firstname.lastname@example.org The receptionist will take the details of your concern and record them. You do not have to give your name, but it is helpful for the Committee to follow up you your concerns and give you feedback on actions taken.
- In the case of Emissions – contact the Northland Regional Council email@example.com Please note that this email address is only monitored during office hours. 0800 002 004
- In the case of Noise – Contact Whangarei District Council – Their noise control service can be used at any time of the day or night by phoning +64 9 438 7513
- Contact Steve Goldthorpe and the Community Liaison Committee firstname.lastname@example.org 09432 0532